2/4/2013 8:04:00 AM Grant helps CYFD install smoke detectors in homes
As Central Yavapai Firefighter Thaddeus McGuire installed a smoke detector Saturday in a Prescott Valley home, the homeowner answered questions for Firefighter Scott Moore who filled out some paperwork.
"Thank you so much," said the homeowner to the firefighters.
Central Yavapai Fire District bought 110 smoke detectors with 10-year-lithium batteries at a discount from Home Depot thanks to a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, CYFD Fire Marshal Rick Chase said.
Eighteen firefighters, fire department employees, and volunteers installed a smoke detector in homes without a working alarm in Prescott Valley and Dewey-Humboldt at no cost to residents.
"We focused on two areas with older dwellings, where we believe there may be residences with either no smoke alarms or non working alarms," Chase said.
Firefighters placed the smoke alarms near bedrooms and in living room areas, CYFD Engineer Jim Bushman said.
"A lot of fires happen when people are sleeping," Bushman said. "Having a working smoke detector can quickly help wake people and give them time to get out of a burning house in time."
Firefighters surveyed areas to see which homes might need smoke detectors, and they learned that the need was great, Bushman said.
As firefighters walked through the neighborhood, a woman stopped by and asked when they would reach a certain block.
"We have several groups working in the area, and if your home's on the list, we'll be there," Moore said.
At several homes, residents told firefighters they had working smoke detectors, so firefighters headed to the next address on their lists.
"We're helping out today to be an active part of our community," said Patty Brookins, a CYFD human resources specialist who with her husband helped firefighters install smoke detectors in the homes.
Firefighters on Engine 58 also visited with residents in the neighborhood, answered questions, and handed out toy fireman hats and badge stickers to children.
"We're installing a smoke detector in homes without them at no cost to you," McGuire said to a man at his home. "Would you be interested?"
"Yes," said the man. "Just give me a moment to put the dog outside."
As McGuire installed the smoke detector, Moore told the man he would not need to replace the batteries for 10 years, but should test the alarm each month, then left the instructions for the alarm with him after McGuire tested the alarm.
"A few years ago CYFD, along with M & I Bank installed smoke alarms throughout the Castle Canyon Mesa area and had a great response," Chase said. "It is our goal to ensure a working smoke detector in every residence within our district."
Bushman and Chase said Central Yavapai Fire District plans to continue to apply for grants to help them achieve that goal of a working smoke detector in each home.